About Me

My photo
I am a wife, a mommy, a home educator, and domestic goddess, a sister, a daughter, a friend, a musician, a reader, a writer, and a lover of Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

8 Years Ago



Today is my anniversary. My hubby & I are celebrating 8 years of marriage. In some aspects it seems like much longer and in others it seems like just yesterday I was walking down the aisle. So today I have decided to tell the story of "us".


I first saw my hubby at church. I was in the choir and was 14 years old. He came in and sat in the back. I noticed him immediately but before I could introduce myself after service, he left.


Then I was formally introduced through mutual aquaintances several months later. If you ask him he will tell you that he fell in love right away and called his mother to tell her that he met the woman he was going to marry. (sigh) I was not so easily convinced. Now remember.....I was 14. He was 21. Big difference to the parents and to me. He is quite shy and he finally got up the nerve to ask me out to a movie. Well, being that I was so young my parents only agreed if my little brother went along. So, he came to a basketball game to pick us up and I coerced two friends to tag along as well. I am sure that it was not the night he had been hoping for. He let me pick out the movie and I chose "Clueless". Yep, a teeny bopper chick flick. He was in agony. Can you imagine a 21 year old guy in "Clueless" with me, my brother, my guy friend and his girlfriend? Anyway, he drove me and my brother home and after my brother went inside he asked if he could talk to me. Well, being so young, I freaked out and told him I had to go inside. I think he got the point and we left it at that. I saw him every now and then after that but only as friends.


Flash forward 5 years and several boyfriends later and we meet up again. At this point I am in college and he is living in another state so we talk on the phone as friends. This friendship goes on for a couple years. I thought that was all there was to it. He had become my best friend. Then he shows up at my house the night of my brothers high school graduation in a suit and tie. I almost passed out. I had never seen him dressed like that. What a hottie!!! Anyway, we went to the graduation together and then we hung out at my parents house. That was the night that changed my life. He finally got up his nerve to tell me that he loved me and wanted to date me. After realizing that I too had fallen in love with him, I said absolutley. So we began dating.


Fast forward to ONE month later. I came home from playing mini golf in the middle of the day with a friend to find him on the screen porch with my mom. That was kind of peculiar since he worked full time almost an hour away. He asked me to come out to the porch with him and then he asked me if I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. I was shocked!! But that is him, once he makes up his mind about something, he goes for it. Of course, I said yes!!


Flash forward to 11 months later and I was walking down the aisle to marry my best friend. It was the best day of my life. I am so thankful to God for bringing us together and for helping us learn how to love each other the way He would want us to. I love him so much that it makes my heart hurt at times. He is the father to my sons, my best friend and my other half. We are polar opposites but it works. So while I have been married only 8 years I feel like I have been his for half my life for that is how long we have known each other. I wouldn't trade him for anything (except, maybe a Jaguar...hahaha)


So, here are some pictures of us. The first is from our wedding day and the second is from this past Easter.


Happy Anniversary to US!!!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! I pray that God continues to bless your life together. Enjoy your happy day. I love y'all.

KT said...

awe!! I love that you shared your story!! how sweet!! Happy Anniversary! Hope you get some special time!

Mrs. Sofa said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

Such a sweet story...thanks for sharing. I plan on posting our story (even though I summed it up for you recently)since our anniv is in a couple weeks.

Uncommon Blonde said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful love story and the great pics. Congratulations on 8 years of happy marriage!

T.M. said...

Happy Anniversary! I never knew all of that story... especially about Clueless hehe

Kaylor said...

Thanks for sharing your story, I love hearing all of the sweet details! Congrats on 8 years!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your story. I loved reading it.

Aelon said...

You were a beautiful bride...congrats on 8 years!!