About Me

My photo
I am a wife, a mommy, a home educator, and domestic goddess, a sister, a daughter, a friend, a musician, a reader, a writer, and a lover of Jesus Christ.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Martha Vila Jr.

My brother nicknamed our mom Martha Vila several years ago because of her ability to decorate a home, cook a fine meal, and her love of power tools. She is handy no matter what you need. Need a new dress? She can sew it. Need a new haircut? She can cut it. Want a yummy cake? She can bake it. Hungry for a scrumptios meal? She can cook it. Want a new bedroom set? She can build it. So my brother, who is quite funny and witty, decided to name her Martha Vila (Martha Stewart & Bob Vila hybrid). It has been a family joke for quite some time now.

Growin up I always thought that I was alot like my mom. But the older I get the more I realize that I am very different in alot of ways. My mother is a very detailed and observant person. I am not. My mom put a new picture in her bathroom several months ago. When I commented about it she told me that it had been in there for over a month. Oops! My mother enjoys planning and seeing every detail carried through. I do not. Tell me what to do and I will do it but please do not ask me to plan it. She likes things done right away. I am more than willing to let things rest until I am ready to do them. She likes everything precise and in its place. I want things tidy but there isn't really any rhyme or reason to where things end up. My mom never let us put stickers on anything in our home. Well...I have to say I agree a little bit with that one but I didn't really communicate it to my boys so now their windows are covered in tractor stickers. So needless to say she and I are different in many ways.

BUT I have discovered something we have in common ( besides our love for our families and the Lord). I love home improvement stores!!!! I love the smell of lumber and glue and paint. I love the sound a saw makes and the feel of power when I am using it. I am not knowledgable at all but I am learning. I like to use my hands and see something accomplished. Even right now I am typing with a bumb finger. I hit it numerous times yesterday while building a wall. It is discolored and it hurts. And yes, I said that I built a wall. It isn't a big wall. But it is a wall. I built it and put in our bathroom. I even leveled it and nailed it to the floor and adjacent wall. It is sturdy and looks good. So I am therefore naming myself "Martha Vila Jr. in training". My mom and I will be finishing out the bathroom with sheetrock and trim work and tile. We are refinishing a vanity and a linen cabinet. I am so excited to be doing it all. And I will be even happier when it is all completed and we have our 2nd bathroom back up and running.

So, I am off to put in some flooring!!!

3 comments:

Uncommon Blonde said...

you should post before and after pics! I am impressed, I cannot build things (partly because I'm not willing to try) hehe

Mrs. Sofa said...

Amazing women!
I find myself doing more and more 'handyman' things. Since staying home, I've become very anal. I want things done perfect or darn near close...my husband can't quite comprehend. So I'd rather do it myself. It's empowering too when I find myself doing things better than he can :)

T.M. said...

Come build my window seat for me. I think I can do it, but I'm afraid to try! Kenn doesn't even want to touch it. lol