About Me

My photo
I am a wife, a mommy, a home educator, and domestic goddess, a sister, a daughter, a friend, a musician, a reader, a writer, and a lover of Jesus Christ.

Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Friday Night Away

Last night my sister and I took our momma out to dinner for her birthday. It was a wonderful evening. Just us girls. I had not been out on a Friday night in so long that I can't even remember the last time. We went down to the coast to eat. The food was phenomenal. The conversation was great. It was refreshing to talk to adults after spending so much time with toddlers. And the fact that I got to eat my meal while it was still hot.........great! Usually I am too busy feeding the little guys to really enjoy a meal. But last night was a very welcome break. I should make more time to do that sort of thing more often. It was a complete flip side of the coin of a meal earlier in the week.

Lets see......I guess it was Tuesday. The boys and I went with my parents and my sister to meet my grandparents for dinner in Live Oak. First disaster was that neither of the kiddos had naps that day. Not a good idea. Second disaster.....buffet at Golden Corral. I absolutely hate buffets. You don't know who touched what or how long the food has been sitting there. When I asked for a high chair the waitress informed me that they were by the door. So then I had to go fish a high chair out from behind the dessert bar while holding my 13 month old. Needless to say I was getting a little ticked. Anyway, my mom helped me fix the boys plates. My oldest son did fine eating by himself but the youngest was just being awnry. Then the oldest decided that he needed to go to the bathroom. So I took him into a room that looked like it had not been cleaned in a year or so. After washing hands and sanitizing we returned to the table.Then the youngest little guy refused to swallow anything that wasn't a yeast roll. So the frustration increased. Add that to the fact that he kept pulling the place mat off the table. Anyway, I got up to finally get a plate for myself. By the time I got back, the little guy had managed to pull off the place mat while rubbing his yeast roll on the table. YUCK!!!! I was beginning to lose it. So I picked him up, threw the soiled roll away and proceeded to try to feed him while he sat on my lap. He then grabbed at a knife....I quickly took it away and in the process dumped my entire plate of food on the floor and my grandpa. I am sure that my family at this point could see smoke coming out of my ears. I removed my self from the table and took the lil man outside to cool off. After a while of standing outside while receiving stares from the locals we returned to the table to try again. And before I could even take a drink of my tea, the little monkey grabbed my cup and dumped tea down the front of my shirt. At this point I looked at my dad and said that I would never return to Golden Corral in Live Oak. He just began to laugh at me and said that I was paying for my raising. That sparked conversation with the family. Then my oldest decided to inform the entire resturaunt that he was "trying to poop" I truly wanted to crawl into a hole. The upside was that after that we got to leave. I am very glad that we got to spend time with my grandparents too. So I guess it was worth it. Maybe.

So last night was like being in heaven. No kids, no men, no hassle. Great view of the ocean, great food, and great time with my two favorite people. It was lovely. And much needed. I am feeling a bit more sane today because of it. Those of you with children know exactly what I'm talking about. Those of you who don't have kids.......don't take your hassle free dinners for granted. Ever.

2 comments:

Mrs. Sofa said...

With kids, always the last to eat, last to shower, last to bed...keeps going. You described your night out at the buffet so well, I was feeling your fustration. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!
Glad you had a night to enjoy...makes me want a nice quiet meal to myself.

T.M. said...

Oh what would I give for an adults only dinner. Hopefully the babysitter(s) get worked out and I'll get one with some friends next weekend.