About Me

My photo
I am a wife, a mommy, a home educator, and domestic goddess, a sister, a daughter, a friend, a musician, a reader, a writer, and a lover of Jesus Christ.

Monday, February 4, 2008

Mission Organization....Impossible?

It is no surprise to those of you that know me.....I am not an organized person. I wish I was more organized but apparently wishing does not change things. Only discipline and hard work does. And that is where my procrastination and rebellious side steps in.

Growing up, my mother ran our house with clock work precision and incredible organization. I am the oldest of four children. My mother also watched other children at times to bring in a little extra income. And then there was the year that my three cousins came to live with us. That year there were 9 kids eating dinner several nights a week at our house. Looking back at how my mother handled everything I am in awe. I only have 2 kids and while they are truly blessings, they can drive my to the point of distraction sometimes. I did not understand when I was younger why my mom did things they way she did. We had a closely guarded routine. Time to get up, eat, school, homework, dinner, baths, bed. It was the same every day. Well, except for Wednesdays when we went to church. Church fit between dinner and baths. But the house ran like a well oiled machine. And while my dad is a great guy......I have to give credit for the house running smooth to my mother. And my mom cooked us every meal we ate. I think she is wonder woman. Anyway...... I am realizing that while at times I am like my mom, the things I want to be like her....are not. Unfortunately I am like my dad. Procrastinator, easily bored, flighty at times, spontaneous (not as much as I used to be), and a little messy. That list does not make for good examples to my kids. So I have decided to put myself on a routine. I may not like it but I am sure that after I get used to it I will be glad that it has made my life easier. And so I am off to make my lists and schedule. And since I am a results driven person..... I will also make a list of rewards. Rewards like reading during the boys naps instead of cleaning. So if any of you have any ideas or want to share.....please feel free. I could use some help and suggestions.

And maybe one day down the road my two boys will be telling their wives about how awesome their momma was at running a house. I sooooooooo want that to be the case instead of them being grateful to be out of here. Oh! And I want them to be calling me to ask how to make their favorite dish so they can get their wives to make it. That image is enough to make me want to do and be better.

***A side note.......if my three year old pees or poops in his pants again...... I might explode!***

7 comments:

KT said...

Hey there! I wish I was a mom and could help.
Your heart is certainly in the right spot so that has to be half the battle right?!
Good luck!
*When you find out the secret, let me know because I want to be everything you just talked about!

T.M. said...

When you figure it out let me know. Have you been reading my mind again? Hubby and I got into an arguement this morning about this very type of thing. I'm working on it, but it's so hard. I think we are a lot alike in our not-so-good traits.

Uncommon Blonde said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. You never saw those days your mom was fed up because when you're a kid you just don't see those things. I am sure you're super mommy on a daily basis you just don't see it ... we are all our own worst critics.

Mrs. Sofa said...

Let me know too!

Anonymous said...

Something always comes along to mess up a routine I think you should just do what you can do when you can do it and usually most of it gets done- ---enough of it anyway There is a lot to be said for FUN and being available I think the boys would rather remember the singing, dancing, reading, hugs ,playing the piano rather than routines and recipes Love ya S

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention that just reading your blog made me tired S

crazymommyofthree said...

Are you kidding...your ma is like FREAKISHLY SUPER-HERO LADY (if only we could be anything like her), you do just fine silly goose!! I guess just give it a try and if it works for you than thats great, if not "DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT", the boys look up to you in so many different ways and schedules is not the priority, it sure isnt in this household and well chaotic alot of times it's still workin'...lol!! Oh, this is Shawna by the way (finally got it to work)!!