About Me

My photo
I am a wife, a mommy, a home educator, and domestic goddess, a sister, a daughter, a friend, a musician, a reader, a writer, and a lover of Jesus Christ.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentines Shmalentines

So I realized today that I am not a huge fan of Valentines Day.

I delivered beautiful, fragrant arrangements of flowers today. Mostly red roses but some other varieties too. Now I must admit I am a HUGE fan of flowers. And it surprised me that so many women that received them seemed totally unimpressed. At least their loved one thought of them but they still acted like I might as well have been delivering "the plague". Now, I do not know what these women encounter on a daily basis so I should not judge. Maybe they have a complete loser at home that wants his wifes co-workers to think he is something that he is not. Who knows?

And it was nice to make some money off of this extremely commercialized holiday that seems centered on love, kind of.

The longer I live the more I realize that I am not a person that is moved by tradition. Maybe Valentines Day is not a big deal to me because I feel like I should not have to have a national holiday for my husband to think about sending me flowers. I want him to do it on his own. Granted, that is not very often but still when he does it seems to be his idea.

I also am realizing that in this area of my life I seem to rebel. The rest of the world gets and receives cards, I won't......just because everyone else expects it. I don't send Christmas cards for the same reason. Personally I don't understand the concept of sending a card to people that only has your signature in it. Exactly what is a person supposed to do with the card after it arrives? Keep it forever? Feel guilty about throwing it away? If you send out a card I think it should include a picture at the least and an update of the senders life at the most. Anything else seems to be a waste of time and money. And in this day of technology it is so easy to let the people you love know that you are thinking about them. How about a call? Much more personal and you might actually find out how the other person is doing.

Then again, maybe I just have a problem with people I don't know telling me what is expected of me just because a certain date on the calendar dictates certain expectations and actions.

I am a fan of birthdays and anniversarys. Those dates have true signifigance and everyones is different. I can get behind celebrating those days because they are uniquely mine (or my family and friends). It is something personal and intimate.

I must sound like a raving lunatic. Oh well! Maybe I am..........

I do know that I need to work on my authority issues or I just might have two little boys like me. Wouldn't that be sad? Does that mean I will be jumping on the Valentine band-wagon? No, probably not.... but who knows? You just might get a christmas card with my signature in it one day........but I wouldn't hold your breathe.

Another thought.......would I feel this way if my husband was excited about these holidays? That is the million dollar question

2 comments:

Shell said...

No I don't think you are a raving Lunatic.
What Did we do V-day? Same thing we do everyday Pinky try to take over the world!! oh wait that is someone else. I went to school got out early so I went by Wendy's on the way home for a frosty for each of us. Oh And I went to Taco bell for dinner. why taco bell you ask. Because he BEST v-Day I ever had was over lunch at Taco Bell!

Now I am going to go back to m research.

-with love, shelly

T.M. said...

Lunatic or not, traditional or otherwise, we still love you. :)