About Me

My photo
I am a wife, a mommy, a home educator, and domestic goddess, a sister, a daughter, a friend, a musician, a reader, a writer, and a lover of Jesus Christ.

Friday, November 23, 2007

The Powder Brush

So, I was putting my make-up on this morning and I came across a powder brush. It has a long clear handle and has lasted quite a long time. So, as I stood there looking at it a flash of memories began to flood my mind. And it occurs to me that the powder brush was a birthday present from my buddy, Uncommon Blonde. She probably doesn't even remember giving it to me but I do, vividly. It was the first make-up present I had ever received,from someone other than my mom. And it was on my 16th birthday. Now those of you out there that were fortunate enough to have attended the party, this will be just a funny reminder but to the others.....here goes nothing.

The year was 1995 and it was my 16th birthday. Now, I was a huge fan of everything 70's. So, it was just natural that the party was a celebration of the decade that brought ME into the world. My parents rented a roller skating rink for the event. And all of the guests were asked to dress in 70's attire. I wore a royal blue polyester pantsuit. Thinking back......I thought I was soooooo cool. I ironed my hair and wore a headband reminicent of the Brady Bunch. My dad decided to play DJ. So, all of the music was 70's. My favorite was Inna Godda Da Vida.

So, there we were skating around in circles and having a blast. At least I was. I had never had a huge birthday party before and I was so excited to have all of my friends there. There were even some guests that came that weren't invited......you know how that goes. But I didn't care, I was disco princess for the day.

Then came time to blow out candles and open presents. And the only present I remember distinctely getting is the powder brush from Uncommon Blonde. There were other presents but I don't remember what they were. I don't know if Uncommon Blonde picked out the gift herself or not but she did not know that here I would still be thinking about it 12 years later.

And thank you for helping me remember that wonderful day. It is nice to stroll down memory lane occasionally.

A side note........do you realize that the kids in high school these days are "dresssing up" as 90's people when they have costume parties......makes me feel old. Apparently they like to dress up as "Saved By The Bell" kids or even "Beverly Hills 90210". It must be the cool tight rolled pants. LOL. I guess every generation does it to the one before.

So, take a minute and remember something great from your past experiences.....it's totally worth it!!

3 comments:

Uncommon Blonde said...

I know what brush you're talking about - that's so wierd! You have a really good memory with gifts - I kind of wish it was something cooler now. I can't believe that was 12 years ago. I smiled the whole way through reading this post!

T.M. said...

I remember that party! :)

Anonymous said...

I got one from her to! I think I got mine for Christmas that year. I have managed to lose mine though! I still have a picture of me and Heather from that party in one of my scrapbooks! We loved it so much that we copied it for our joint sweet 16 the next year, remember!! oh the memories!