About Me

My photo
I am a wife, a mommy, a home educator, and domestic goddess, a sister, a daughter, a friend, a musician, a reader, a writer, and a lover of Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The End of Celebrity As We Know It

So, I was thinking some more about my previous post and it occurred to me that we are fast approaching a day when there will be no such thing as a celebrity. There was a day that to be featured in film or television meant that you had spent time perfecting your trade, attending acting classes, even film school. Or you were a public servant like the President, Congressman, etc. Now today, any Tom, Dick or Harry can get on TV. Lets just think about this. Survivor was the Grandfather of Reality shows. All you had to do to get on was be a colorful personality and be in good enough physical shape that you wouldn't die when deserted for over a month in some remote locale. Then came Amazing Race, and the MTV reality shows (too many to count). Americas Next Top Model, Project Runway, Big Brother, Dancing With The Stars, Singing Office, Dirty Jobs, etc. You all know that this is not an all encompassing list. I would have to type all day. Oh, my buddy high school buddy Daniel is on Shear Genius. HAd to throw that in there.

So that brings me to my point. I was flipping channels the other day and came across "The Verminators". Yes, it is show featuring exterminators. I was grossed out and offended that they would put something so yucky on TV. Then the impossible happened. I sat and watched the entire show. It was like a bad train wreck. I couldn't stop watching it. Not only did I watch it, I then proceeded to tell anyone that would listen about this really gross show I saw and then gave them the Readers Digest version of the entire program. I know, I know, pitiful, isn't it? So, after looking more closely at this whole thing I realized that now you can get on TV for just about anything.

1. Getting married - Wedding Story
2. Have a baby - A BAby Story
3. Bring a baby home - Bringing Home Baby
4. Buying a wedding dress - Yes to The Dress
5. Being a B*$@# - Bridezillas
6. Dancing at your own reception - Rock the Reception
7. Singing - American Idol
Nashville Star
8. Dancing - Dancing With the Stars
So You Think You Can Dance
9. Live a Secret LIfe - Secret Lives of Women (haven't figured this one out, if you go on TV about it, its not a secret anymore, duh)
10. Many, many more programs to make sure that any average Joe can make a name for themselves.

So, once everyone is a celebrity, then no one will be. Get it? The novelty, the prestige of being on televsion or film is being stripped away. I bet the old film stars would roll over in their graves if they saw what garbage we spent our time watching.

***disclaimer*** I have not watched all of the programs named. I do have a life you know. But I have seen commercials.

So, there it is. Gotta go, the kids are tired of spending "quality" time together.

5 comments:

T.M. said...

I've been watching Shear Genius. Boy, that's not quite the same Daniel we went to school with. LOL

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the show Snapped. It's about women and all of the different ways they killed their husband. LOL It's true it really is a show.

Anonymous said...

I'm a sucker for reality TV. I DVR a lot of the shows, so it takes me half the time to watch...I don't like commercials.

Aelon said...

I'm a reality tv junkie too. I have been watching Daniel...he's so dramatic!

Uncommon Blonde said...

I had no idea Daniel was on tv! I'm going to Tivo that :)