About Me

My photo
I am a wife, a mommy, a home educator, and domestic goddess, a sister, a daughter, a friend, a musician, a reader, a writer, and a lover of Jesus Christ.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Prideful in Grace?

As I was loading the dishwasher earlier I heard a song that I have heard a hundred times before. But this time it somehow crept its way past my ears, past that part of my brain that senses and filters the familiar and entered my heart. It spoke to me about my arrogance and pride about the grace of God.

I have grown up in church, heard the gospel message a million times, listened to thousands of sermons, read scripture, participated in Bible studies. And through it all I have always been certain that Jesus Christ died on the cross for my sin. I know this fact through and through. But perhaps I know it too well. Have I really considered the cost?

The song spoke of "would you take the place of this man?" This man being Jesus. He took my place. The life I have lived on my own demands death as a penalty. But I feel that in our world of comfort and convenience that I have never fully allowed myself to really let myself think and feel what that means. Instead I have accepted that Jesus did it all for me and then become prideful and arrogant of that fact. God's grace is given freely but I need to remember what it cost Him to give it to me. I need to live my life mindful of what He did for me and remember that while I never deserved His sacrifice, He still sacrificed so that I might know Him. Really know Him. His Grace and salvation are wonderful but He is expecting more of me. And to walk it out I need to remember everyday where I would be without Him. I can't do it on my own. It is only through Him that I stand a chance to live the life He intended for me. And since He has done it all, I need to be thankful and humbled.

No comments: